9/10/2012 11:16 PM
McAfee just released their 6th annual list of the most dangerous celebrity searches online. Cyber criminals frequently use the names of frequently searched celebrities to lure people to sites that can harm computers.
This year, Emma Watson unseated last year’s number one threat, Heidi Klum. The rest of the top 10:
2. Total Recall remake star Jessica Biel.
3. Eva Mendes of the Fast and Furious film franchise is number three on the list.
4. Disney alumnus Selena Gomez recently made Forbes’s list of social media superstars.
5. Halle Berry’s star power and willingness to take off her clothes on film make her a perennial favorite for hacker fakeouts.
6. Sexy Megan Fox rose to the top ten this year; her pregnancy and recent marriage have her in the headlines.
7. Columbian singer Shakira, who was recently named one of the top ten most powerful women in social media.
8. Cameron Diaz was 2010’s most dangerous celebrity, and has fallen to number eight.
9. Salma Hayek recently starred in the film Savages and has been in the news because of comments made to German Vogue.
10. Sofia Vergara is one of the breakout stars of the series Modern Family.
McAfee’s report noted that 5 of the top ten were Latina; it’s actually six, as they failed to count Cuban-American entry Cameron Diaz. Women are more dangerous to your computer than men. The only man in the top twenty most dangerous was Jimmy Kimmel at number 13.
Searches for a celebrity name plus the term “naked” or “download” are the most likely to lead to cyber attacks. According to McAfee, over 12% of sites that come up in a search for naked downloads of the the Harry Potter star lead to sites that come up positive for viruses, spyware and phishing and other threats.
A few tips to keep yourself safe online:
- Don’t download anything from any source you do not know. Often, the attack is as simple as convincing someone to willingly download what they believe are pictures or videos.
- Think twice before you pirate. Malware is often hidden in files uploaded onto torrent sites.
- Use some common sense. If someone is offering zip files of leaked naked celebrity pictures, particularly when no leak has been reported online, chances are, they are taking advantage of your baser instincts.
Posted by Lara
9/10/2012 11:16 PM |