8/2/2012 7:52 PM
The Cork Body Painting Group set a world record this weekend: most painted bodies in a single place. But, it almost didn’t happen after the group caused a run on men’s thongs in the Irish city. A post on the event’s Facebook page said: “Men’s thongs have sold out in Cork. Some people are saying they are wearing jockstraps. You could also wear a woman’s thong (just make sure it’ll hold you in) or you could wear Y-fronts.”
In the end, participants found a male thong stash at the adult shop Utopia. The record was firmly secured with 316 people stripping down and getting painted up.
Want to establish your own Guinness World Record, but unable to assemble 317 of your closest friends to beat Cork's record? Here are some other odd world records to aim for:
- Longest underwater kiss: three minutes and eight seconds, set by Italian free divers Mike Maric and Ilaria Bonin in an aquarium in Northern Italy.
- Largest assemblage of people dressed like Mahatma Gandhi: 485 children in Calcutta, India.
- Largest group of people simultaneously tossing chef hats into the air: 617 at the Grand Palace in Brussels .
- World’s heaviest onion: the bulb weighs in at over 8 kilograms, and was grown by Pete Glazebook of Northern England.
- World’s largest tow truck parade: 298 tow trucks traveled from Shea Stadium to Brooklyn’s Gateway National Park.
- Largest number of body piercings (senior citizen division): John Lynch of London with 241.
- Largest rubber ducky collection: owned by Charlotte Lee and consists of 5,631 different rubber ducks.
- Largest commercially available hamburger: it’s on the menu at Juicy Outlaws Grill in Oregon. The 777 pound sandwich can be purchased for $5,000 and requires 48 hours notice when ordering.
- The world’s fastest toilet is capable of traveling at 68 kilometers per hour.
- The largest bubble gum bubble was blown by Chad Fell in Alabama in 2004, and measured 20 inches in diameter.
Guinness lets you apply on their site for new record-setting categories, or upload videos proving that you have unseated the holder of a current Guinness World Record. Please be advised that they monitor a category for largest head, nor do not accept record attempts in the category of elbow licking.